Thursday, August 19, 2021

Coincidences in August 2021

 Well here we are,  the date is August 20th 2021, and here in New Zealand we have had a lockdown since last Tuesday. Hopefully this will only  last until another 2 or 3 days but I'm not holding my breath.   I'm actually making bread because we have run out, and do not feel like doing grocery shopping.  


This coincidence came about because I have been rereading Bill Bryson’s very good book

called A Short History of Nearly Everything.


In it I came across the following:


“Karlsruhe Congress was an international meeting of chemists held in Karlsruhe, 

Germany from 3 to 5 September 1860. It was the first international 

conference of chemistry worldwide.”


Because my drafting work has dried up, I have been entering architectural competitions.


One of these was from Germany, and I presume it was for Karlsuhe, due to the file name:

WP03.2a_GR_OG_B_Streetbox_Karlsruhe_Ausschnitt M100.pdf


The prize was a bit pitiful, at NZ$50, but it was quite quick to do in Revit Cad software.


Apparently the contest holder did not make a decision, so the web site decided to split the prize between myself and the only other contestant, so I got $25.00  




No comments: