Tuesday, August 6, 2013

London

Arriving in London. About a 12 hour flight to Frankfurt, then a one hour one to Heathrow.  Quite a contrast in airports- Frankfurt nice and tidy with architectural details well thought out.  The handrails at Heathrow looked like a fitter's mate knocked them up.
The Heathrow express was excellent though, taking only 20 minutes to get us into Paddington station. Our room is fine, near an interesting street called Queensway.
On our first day we went on a Big Bus Tour. Part of the tour was a short trip up the Thames to the Tower of London,  which had a bit of queue, but did not take long to get in.  Once in, more queues, moving at a glacial pace, so we flagged it away and had lunch just by Tower Bridge. Rose had swollen feet,so it was hard going for her.



The second day the plan was to visit the main shops, so I went and bought a 7 day travel card. Our first stop on Oxford street was Selfridges, and it did not disappoint.  Just one problem: all we could afford we're some magazines. My turn for sore feet as I had worn dress shoes-ouch. Back home for recovery, then out to Oxford st again, to have a look at the Burlington Arcade and the Picadilly Arcade. Then off to Trafalgar Square.

It seems like tourists are 50 percent of the population, and big red buses fill the roads.

This bit has been added in July 2015, where I have decided to add photos to the blog (not easy to do at the time on an ipad).  Browsing through them, I am amazed by the photos I did not take, and though I did take pics of Buckingham Palace etc, I think posting them is a waste of time. Rather, I will post just a few that vaugely capture the feel of London.







No comments: